Format: People or Position
ADELAIDE CONNECTDiscover the University of Adelaide's special collections
University Council Member
People or Position
Position TitleUniversity Council MemberStart Date of Position1874Description
In accordance with the University of Adelaide Act 1971:
- the Council consists of not less than 12 and not more than 16 members, of whom—
- (a) 1 will be the Chancellor ex officio; and
- (b) 1 will be the Vice-Chancellor ex officio; and
- (c) 1 will be the presiding member of the Academic Board ex officio (or, if the Vice-Chancellor is the presiding member of the Academic Board, a member of the Academic Board elected by the Academic Board (not being a member appointed or elected to the Academic Board as a student of the University)); and
- (d) up to 7 will be persons appointed by the Council on the recommendation of a selection committee (which consists of the Chancellor and 6 other persons, 3 of whom are appointed by the Chancellor and 3 by the presiding member of the Graduate Association (but at least 3 members of the selection committee must be graduates of the University) in accordance with guidelines determined by the Council); and
- (e) 1 will be a member of the academic staff, elected by the academic staff; and
- (f) 1 will be a member of the general staff, elected by the general staff; and
- (g) 1 will be a postgraduate student, appointed or elected in a manner determined by the Council; and
- (h) 1 will be an undergraduate student, appointed or elected in a manner determined by the Council; and
- (i) 1 will be a graduate (not being a current staff member nor student of the University), elected by graduates in a manner determined by the Council after consultation with the presiding member of the Graduate Association; and
- (j) 1 may, if the Council so determines, be a person co-opted and appointed by the Council.
- Where a person is appointed to the Council, the appointing authority must recognise that the Council is, as far as practicable, to be constituted of equal numbers of men and women who— (a) have a commitment to education and, in particular, to higher education; and (b) have an understanding of, and commitment to, the principles of equal opportunity and social justice and, in particular, to access and equity in education.
- Of the members of the Council appointed on the recommendation of the selection committee, at least 2 must have financial management expertise and at least 1 must have commercial expertise (demonstrated by relevant qualifications or relevant experience at a senior level in the public or private sector).
University Council Member, [UA-00025172] . The University of Adelaide, accessed 08/12/2023, https://connect.adelaide.edu.au/nodes/view/25373