South Australian School of Mines and Industries
The South Australian School of Mines and Industries was established in 1889 in the Exhibition Building on North Terrace, later moving to the Brookman Building on the corner of North Terrace and Frome Road, which was officially opened by Sir Samuel Way in his role as lieutenant-governor on 24 February 1903.
The University and the School of Mines maintained some form of reciprocal relationship from the late 1880s but it was not until 1903 that the Council of the University concluded an agreement with the Council of the South Australian School of Mines and Industries under which the two Institutions 'shall combine, to some extent, their teaching powers and their laboratories for the purpose of providing courses of instruction Mining Engineering, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering.' As set out in the University calendars of the era, '[t]he University and the School of Mines, acting in concert, [will] hold examinations and grant Diplomas in various branches of Applied Science.'
With the abolition of the Diploma in Applied Science and establishment in 1937 of the Faculty of Engineering, the two institutions remained affiliated in as far as University Council 'may exempt students who have attended courses of instruction and passed examinations of the South Australian School of Mines and Industries from attendance at lectures, and from examinations, in corresponding subjects for the course for the degree of Bachelor of Engineering.'
1960 saw the merger of the School of Mines and the Adelaide Technical High School to form the South Australian Institute of Technology. The relationship with the University continued with the establishment of a jointly administered Faculty and Degree of Technology.
Taken from the University of Adelaide Archives Website - https://www.adelaide.edu.au/records/university-archives/related-institutions/sa-school-of-mines-and-industries - Accessed 18 December 2020.
Profile Image - courtesy of the State Library of South Australia, SLSA - PRG 280/1/1/98 [public domain]Succeeding OrganisationSouth Australian Institute of Technology
W E Matthews - The School of Mines - Stawell - Suggestion to add a list of subjects to the Higher Public Examinations
S Hughes - School of Mines and Industries - memorandum re arrangement between University and School of Mines
S Hughes - School of Mines - Resolution re University Laboratory Assistants attending School of Mines Classes free - Notification when Professors are debarred from holding Classes
S Hughes - Registrar School of Mines - Request for Mr Higgin to continue his lectures on Metallurgy and Chemistry
Professor Edward Henry Rennie - Asking that Assistants may be sent to School of Mines to complete Curriculum
S Hughes - Registrar School of Mines - Request withdrawal of W Degenhardt from Electric Engineering Class Part 2 Owing to accident
S Hughes - Registrar School of Mines - Memo of a Conference between representatives of the University and the School of Mines
Alfred James Higgin - South Australian School of Mines and Industries - Consents to act as Examiner Assaying and Metallurgy
S Hughes - Registrar - South Australian School of Mines and Industries - Adelaide - Concerning student Mr H H Sanderson fees
S Hughes - Registrar - South Australian School of Mines and Industries - Allowing Mr Higgin to conduct the Assaying Examination