Department of Mathematics
Professor of Mathematics (pure and applied) was one of the four founding professorships at the University of Adelaide, established in 1875 and filled by Horace Lamb.
The Department of Mathematics was established in 1877.
In 1959 the Department of Mathematics split into Department of Applied Mathematics and Department of Pure Mathematics.
The School of Mathematical Sciences was formed in 2006 through a merger of the Departments of Applied Mathematics and Pure Mathematics. The School offers an undergraduate program through to honours with majors in the disciplines of applied mathematics, pure mathematics and statistics, as well as research degrees. It is part of the Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences and is housed in the Ingkarni Wardli Building.
Professor of Mathematics
- Professor Horace Lamb, MA, LLD (Camb), FRS, 1875-1885
- Professor John Raymond Wilton, Elder Professor, ScD (Camb), DSc, 1920-1944
- Professor Harold William Sanders, Elder Professor, MA (Camb), 1944-1958 (Emeritus Professor 1959)
- Professor James Henry Michael, MSc, PhD, FAA, 1967-1969 (Emeritus Professor 1989)
- Professor Charles Pearce, Elder Professor, MSc, PhD, FAMS, 2004-2012
Professor of Applied Mathematics
- Professor Renfrey Burnard Potts, AO, BSc, DPhil, DSc (Oxf), FTSE, FAA, FTS, Professor 1959; Elder Professor 1975-1990 (Emeritus Professor 1991)
- Professor Jens Rainer Maria Radok, MA (Melb), DIng (Munich), 1964-1966
- Professor Ernest Oliver Tuck, BSc (Hons) PhD (Camb), FAA, FTSE, 1974-2002; Elder Professor 1991-2002 (Emeritus Professor 2002)
Professor of Pure Mathematics
- Professor Eric Stephen Barnes, Elder Professor, BA (Syd and Camb), PhD (Camb), FAA, 1959-1974 and 1981-1983 (Emeritus Professor 1975)
- Professor William Moran, BSc (Birm), PhD (Sheff), FAA, 1976-1991.
Professor of Mathematics and Physics
- Professor William Henry Bragg, MA (Camb), FRS, 1886-1908
- Professor Paul Charles William Davies, BSc (Hons), PhD (Lond), FIP, FAIP, 1990-1997
G Carson Kenyon - Hamilton - Particulars Assistant Lecturer and Demonstrator in Physics and Mathematics
Professor Willaim Henry Bragg - The University - Concerning appointment of Assistant Lecturer and Demonstrator in Physics and Mathematics
James Bernard Allen - The University - Appointment as Assistant Lecturer and Demonstrator in Mathematics and Physics
J Bernard Allen - The University of Adelaide - Accepting position as Assistant Lecturer and Demonstrator in Mathematics and Physics
R J A Barnard - Melbourne - Particulars Demonstrator and Assistant Lecturer on Mathematics and Physics
George Alfred Hancock - Request to be allowed 2nd Year Applied Mathematics on Melbourne University Certificate
William Neill - Adelaide - Asking for memo stating that Kenneth W Neill passed in English Chemistry Physics and Mathematics at Senior Public